From Up on Poppy Hill a Studio Ghibli film that was released in Japan on July 16th, 2011. It was directed by Goro Miyazaki, the son of Hayao Miyazaki and the director of the 2006 film Tales from Earthsea. It came out on DVD in Japan on June 10th, 2012. It is scheduled to be released on March 29, 2013 in North America.
The Story is set in 1963 in Yokohama. Kokuriko Manor sits on a hill overlooking the harbour. A 16 year-old girl, Umi, lives in that house. Every moring she raises a signal flag facing the sea. The flag means "I pray for safe voyages".
A 17 year-old by, Shun, always sees this flag from the sea as he rides a tugboat to school. In preparation for next year's Tokyo Olympics, people are destroying the old and believing only in the magnificence of the new.
In that time, at a high school in Yokohama, a small struggle occurred. The building of the Culture Club, nicknamed Quartier Latin, is old but full of history and memories. Should it be deserted or preserved? In the middle of this, Umi and Shun meet. Shun appeals to the students who want to protect the building. Umi suggests a big clean up of the building to show its good parts.
Gradually the pair are drawn to each other but they are faced with a sudden trial. They may be siblings. Even so, they keep going without running from reality. Then, in the middle of the battle and the aftermath, they come to know how their parents met, loved and lived.
- Masami Nagasawa as Umi Matsuzaki (松崎 海 Matsuzaki Umi), the oldest daughter of a family that runs a lodging house.
- Junichi Okada as Shun Kazama (風間 俊 Kazama Shun), the school newspaper president whom Umi takes an interest in.
- Keiko Takeshita as Hana Matsuzaki (松崎 花 Matsuzaki Hana?), the maternal grandmother of Umi, Sora, and Riku.
- Jun Fubuki as Ryoko Matsuzaki (松崎 良子 Matsuzaki Ryōko), a researcher at a US university, the mother of Umi, Sora, and Riku.
- Yuriko Ishida as Miki Hokuto (北斗 美樹 Hokuto Miki), a doctor-in-training staying at Coquelicot's apartment.
- Takashi Naito as Yoshio Onodera (小野寺 善雄 Onodera Yoshio), a ship captain and an old friend of Umi and Shun's parents.
- Shunsuke Kazama as Shirō Mizunuma (水沼 史郎 Mizunuma Shirō), the student council president and Shun's friend.
- Nao Omori as Akio Kazama (風間 明雄 Kazama Akio), Shun's adoptive father.
- Teruyuki Kagawa as Tokumaru (徳丸), the chairman of the high school and a businessman living in Tokyo.
- Haruka Shiraishi as Sora Matsuzaki (松崎 空 Matsuzaki Sora), Umi's younger sibling.
- Tsubasa Kobayashi as Riku Matsuzaki (松崎 陸 Matsuzaki Riku), Umi's younger sibling.
- Rumi Hiiragi as Sachiko Hirokouji (広小路 幸子 Hirokōji Sachiko), an art college student staying at Coquelicot's apartment.
- Aoi Teshima as Umi's friend (海の友達 Umi no Tomodachi)
- Director Gorō Miyazaki as Isogo High School's world history teacher.
- Sarah Bolger as Umi Matsuzaki
- Anton Yelchin as Shun Kazama
- Gillian Anderson as Hana Matsuzaki
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Ryoko Matsuzaki
- Christina Hendricks as Miki Hokuto
- Bruce Dern as Yoshio Onodera
- Charlie Saxton as Shirō Mizunuma
- Chris Noth as Akio Kazama
- Beau Bridges as Tokumaru
- Isabelle Fuhrman as Sora Matsuzaki
- Alex Wolff as Riku Matsuzaki
- Aubrey Plaza as Sachiko Hirokouji
- Emily Osment as Umi's friend
- Ron Howard as the Philosophy Club's president
- Ronan Farrow as Unspecified
|From Up On Poppy Hill Official US Release Trailer 1 (2013) - Hayao Miyazaki Movie HD(02:30)|
|REEL ANIME 2012 FROM UP ON POPPY HILL TRAILER (English Subtitles)(02:08)|
|English Trailer||Japanese Trailer w/ English Subtitles|